BY KRISTEN BUCKLES
Nearly back-to-back residential fires on Thursday evening had members of the Mosheim Volunteer Fire Department battling not only the fires, but the cold night air as well.
As temperatures hovered close to freezing Thursday evening, the Orebank and Mosheim volunteer fire departments responded to a structure fire at 3063 Old Kentucky Road West around 7:30 p.m.
There, a blaze resulting from a short circuit in an electric heat strip placed near an outside dog house caught the front right side of a mobile home on fire, according to Mosheim Volunteer Fire Department Chief Harold Williamson.
"Nothing was occupying the dog house at the time that we know of," he said.
Williamson said Friday that it only took firefighters about five minutes to contain the blaze, and damage was limited to the outside of the home.
The two fire departments responded with a total of four trucks and about 14 firefighters, he said.
There were no injuries. Williamson estimated the damage between $7,000 and $10,000.
The Mosheim Volunteer Fire Department was back out on the job just a few hours later fighting another structure fire at a single-family dwelling.
A home at 170 Kidwell Lane, located off Gap Creek Road, caught fire around 10:30 p.m.
The single resident of the home awakened to the smell of smoke, Williamson said.
The Mosheim and Midway volunteer fire departments responded to the scene with five trucks and 25 firefighters, Williamson said.
"What we guess was maybe a wood stove started a fire under the floor to the rear wall of the home," the chief explained. "We contained the fire to the area of the wood stove."
It took firefighters approximately 30 minutes to gain complete control of the blaze, Williamson said.
There were no injuries. He estimated the damage at $10,000.
The Greene County Sheriff's Department and Greene County-Greeneville Emergency Medical Services responded to both fires.
The Greene County Chapter of the American Red Cross responded to the second fire and is aiding the resident because the home is not livable until the wall, floor and electrical problems are fixed, Williamson said.