BY KEN LITTLE
A heating lamp may have sparked a fire about 6:30 a.m. Tuesday at 1510 Graysburg Hills Road that destroyed a doghouse and an adjacent outbuilding, sheriff's Deputy Jake Little said in a report.
The owner of the buildings, Matthew Grissinger, told deputies that a neighbor woke him up and told him the doghouse was burning.
Grissinger attempted to extinguish the fire with a garden hose, but it spread to a nearby 14-by-20-foot outbuilding.
Family members called 911, and the Newmansville and Fall Branch volunteer fire departments responded and extinguished the fires.
The doghouse and shed were both "a total loss," the report said.
Grissinger told deputies that he had a heating lamp inside the custom-built doghouse "and believes that to be the cause of the fire," the report said.
No mention of a dog was made in the report. No other injuries were reported.
The outbuilding is valued at $5,000, and the doghouse is worth $500.
Also destroyed in the fire was a John Deere riding lawn mower, a power washer, a trimmer, three golf club sets, a TroyBilt garden tiller, Hallmark collectable ornaments, and miscellaneous tools.
The combined value of the possessions is about $7,000.