The Greeneville Sun
Current Weather
Mostly Cloudy Mostly Cloudy
58 °
Click Icon for Extended Forecast
Get Breaking News Alerts
FREE Service of
Brad & Ginia Johnston
423-823-0414 | 423-823-0716
Get special offers
Hats In The Ring
Candidates Showcase

Patty Tilson
Greene Co. Clerk

Nathan Holt
Greene Co. Trustee

Brett Purgason
Greene Co. Mayor

Robin Quillen
3rd Dist. County Commissioner

David Crum
Greene Co. Mayor

Ted Hensley
5th Dist. State Representative

David Weems
Road Superintendent

Jan Kiker
Greene Co. Clerk

Christina Blevins
Register of Deeds

Tom Hopson
Greene Co. Trustee

Kevin Swatsell
Road Superintendent

Danny Greene

Cecil Mills
District Attorney General

1928 Ford Model A Door

2002 Ford F150 King

1997 Honda Valkyrie

1970 Nova 1 Owner 56k

1997 Harley Davidson Ultra

2004 Jeep Wrangler (sahara

Get featured here and increase your advertising results by upgrading your classified ad to a TopAd.

Call: 423-638-4185

Get featured here and increase your advertising results by upgrading your classified ad to a TopAd.

Call: 423-638-4185

Public Notices

April 24, 2014

choose text size bigger text smaller text

Fight With Bees Apparently Sparks House Fire

Sun Photo by Phil Gentry

Firefighters from the Tusculum and Newmansville volunteer fire departments extinguished a fire on the exterior of a log home at 124 Cloverdale Lane off Ripley Island Road shortly after 4 a.m. today.

Originally published: 2010-04-16 11:21:54
Last modified: 2010-04-16 11:31:41

VFDs Fight Blaze

At A Log Cabin On

Cloverdale Lane;

Short Is Suspected



A home on Cloverdale Lane in Greene County was damaged by a fire that apparently was sparked by an electrical short in a sprayer used to control wood-boring bees.

A Greene County 911 spokesman said the fire occurred at the Jackie Southerland residence, which is off Ripley Island Road.

No injuries were reported.

Marty Shelton, a member of the Tusculum Volunteer Fire Department who responded to the 4 a.m. blaze, said it was discovered by the homeowners at 124 Cloverdale Lane on the exterior walls of the log home along the front porch and the right side wall along a side pool deck area.

"A garden hose was used by homeowners to contain the fire until volunteer firefighters from the Tusculum and Newmansville VFDs arrived," Shelton said. "TVFD and NVFD units checked for extension of the fire into the home using a thermal imaging camera.

But the fire had not spread into the interior of the house, Shelton said.

"A fan was used to push smoke from inside the home as [firefighting] foam was applied to the exterior of the home's damaged sides by firefighters," Shelton said.

He said the cause of the fire is believed to have been an electrical short from a sprayer that was plugged into an outside outlet in an attempt to kill boring bees that had been attacking the log home.

Also responding to the fire was a disaster services unit from the Greene County Chapter of the American Red Cross, a Greene County-Greeneville EMS ambulance, a Greeneville Light & Power System crew and Greene County sheriff's deputies, Shelton said.

For more information and stories, see The Greeneville Sun.

More Local News

Newspapers In Education Benchmarks
Newspapers In Education
Newspapers In Education

Find more businesses on

Attorneys · Automotive · Health Care · Restaurants Retail · Services · Home & Garden · Recreation

Sponsored in part by:


Terms of Use - Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2014, GREENEVILLE PUBLISHING COMPANY, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
This content may not be reused without the express written permission of Greeneville Publishing Company, Inc.