The Greeneville Sun
Current Weather
Clear Clear
60 ° Severe Weather Alert!
Click Icon for Extended Forecast
Get Breaking News Alerts
FREE Service of
Brad & Ginia Johnston
423-823-0414 | 423-823-0716
Get special offers
from GreenevilleSun.com.
 
Hats In The Ring
Candidates Showcase


Patty Tilson
Greene Co. Clerk




Nathan Holt
Greene Co. Trustee




Brett Purgason
Greene Co. Mayor




Robin Quillen
3rd Dist. County Commissioner




David Crum
Greene Co. Mayor




Ted Hensley
5th Dist. State Representative




David Weems
Road Superintendent




Jan Kiker
Greene Co. Clerk




Christina Blevins
Register of Deeds




Tom Hopson
Greene Co. Trustee




Kevin Swatsell
Road Superintendent




Danny Greene
Sheriff




Cecil Mills
District Attorney General



 
 
1997 Honda Valkyrie

1928 Ford Model A Door

1970 Nova 1 Owner 56k

2002 Ford F150 King

1997 Harley Davidson Ultra

2004 Jeep Wrangler (sahara

1996 Ford F-super Duty

Get featured here and increase your advertising results by upgrading your classified ad to a TopAd.

Call: 423-638-4185

Get featured here and increase your advertising results by upgrading your classified ad to a TopAd.

Call: 423-638-4185




Public Notices

April 23, 2014

choose text size bigger text smaller text

Fire Damages Home Along Asheville Hwy.

Sun Photo by Phil Gentry

Smoke poured from the Lloyd Knight residence at 5726 Asheville Highway about 6 a.m. on Sunday as firefighters from the Cedar Creek and South Greene Volunteer Fire Departments worked to extinguish a fire there.

Originally published: 2010-01-04 11:44:20
Last modified: 2010-01-04 11:44:26
 


STAFF WRITER

A fire that apparently started near a heater in a utility room damaged a house in the 5700 block of the Asheville Highway about 6 a.m. Sunday, Jan. 3.

A report about the fire that was filed Sunday by Deputy Sheriff Adam Arrington said home owner Lloyd Knight was awakened by a smoke alarm and escaped the residence at 5726 Asheville Highway unharmed.

Johnny Powers, chief of the South Greeneville Volunteer Fire Department, said the blaze apparently began in a utility room that had been added to the double-wide mobile home.

"We believe it began near a heater in the utility room," Powers said.

He said the fire burned through the ceiling of the utility room and spread into the attic above a carport adjacent to the utility room.

Firefighters were able to confine the blaze to the utility room and the attic above the carport, Powers said, but the rest of the residence sustained some smoke damage.

SUB-FREEZING TEMPERATURES

Powers said fire-fighting efforts were complicated by temperatures that were as low as 10 degrees.

He noted that firefighters from the South Greene and Cedar Creek Volunteer Fire Departments remained on the scene for about two and half hours in sub-freezing temperatures.

Powers said that the South Greene VFD sent four trucks to the fire scene, while the Cedar Creek VFD responded with two trucks.

A total of 24 volunteer firefighters from the two departments responded to the fire, according to Powers.

 
For more information and stories, see The Greeneville Sun.

More Local News


Newspapers In Education Benchmarks
Newspapers In Education
Newspapers In Education
Benchmarks
Benchmarks

Find more businesses on GreenevilleMarketplace.com

Attorneys · Automotive · Health Care · Restaurants Retail · Services · Home & Garden · Recreation


PHOTO GALLERIES
Sponsored in part by:
 
RECENT GALLERIES



 

Terms of Use - Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2014, GREENEVILLE PUBLISHING COMPANY, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
This content may not be reused without the express written permission of Greeneville Publishing Company, Inc.
http://www.greenevillesun.com