BY BILL JONES
A Limestone residence was destroyed by a fire of undetermined origin on Monday night.
A report filed by Deputy Sheriff C.J. Jessie at 11:48 p.m. Monday said a house at 4512 Clear Springs Rd. was destroyed by a fire that apparently began sometime after 7 p.m. Monday.
The Sheriff's Department report estimated the value of the house at about $150,000.
Volunteer firefighters identified the owner of the Clear Springs Road house as Bill Thornton.
Jonathan Hartman, assistant chief of the Limestone Volunteer Fire Department, said the house, which was in the process of being renovated, was "already on the ground" when the first firefighters reached the scene about 11 p.m. Monday.
He noted that there was "nothing standing" and that smoldering debris filled the basement of the house.
"It had apparently been burning for some time before anyone noticed the fire," Hartman said.
He noted that firefighters later learned that the owner of the house had been living in a camper near the house while extensive renovations were in progress, but had gone to stay with relatives on Monday night because the water line to the camper had frozen.
The Limestone VFD responded with four trucks and about a dozen firefighters, according to Hartman, who said the Newmansville VFD provided assistance in the form of a tanker truck and manpower.
B.J. McKay, assistant chief of the Newmansville VFD, said his department sent one truck and six firefighters to the scene.