Sunday A.M. Blaze
Started In Hot Tub
Outside The House
BY BILL JONES
A log home at 63 Majestic Lane off Asheville Highway was destroyed on Sunday by a fire that apparently originated in a hot tub outside the structure.
The residents of the house managed to escape without injury, firefighters said.
A Greene County 911 dispatcher said the blaze was reported at 8:13 a.m. Sunday, being first described as a fire around a hot tub on a deck outside the house.
But the blaze spread from the deck into the interior of the 2,200-square-foot log home, which was located behind the People's Tabernacle Church on the Asheville Highway, according to Regie Jones, chief of the DeBusk Volunteer Fire Department.
Jones said he understood Veronica Compton, the home's owner, and another resident of the house were alerted to the fire by the barking of a pet dog.
Jones said firefighters from his department and the Sunnyside VFD were dispatched to the fire about 8:15 a.m. and later called for manpower assistance from the South Greene VFD.
Jones said the fire was "pushed" by wind into the house through a doorway, reached the attic and spread throughout the structure despite the efforts of firefighters, who used an estimated 25,000 gallons of water in extinguishing the blaze.
"We spent two to three hours making an interior attack (on the fire), trying to save as much as we could," Jones said. "But after it began rolling through the attic there was little we could do."
Firefighters, he said, finally managed to extinguish the blaze on Sunday afternoon and finally cleared the scene just before 3:30 p.m.
Jones said the DeBusk VFD sent three trucks and 15 firefighters, the Sunnyside VFD sent three trucks and 12 firefighters to the scene, and the South Greene VFD sent three firefighters to help battle the blaze.
Also responding to the fire were units of the Greene County Sheriff's Department, Greene County-Greeneville Emergency Medical Services, the Greeneville Emergency & Rescue Squad and the Greene County Chapter of the American Red Cross, Jones said.
Sunday morning services at the People's Tabernacle Church were canceled because of the nearby fire.