BY KEN LITTLE
A superseding indictment charging a man allegedly connected with the 2009 shooting death of a Greene County man with first-degree murder was handed up this week by a Greene County grand jury.
The indictment naming Chad Eric Rader was one of more than 70 handed up Monday by the grand jury.
More than 50 individuals were named in the indictments. Several defendants had multiple indictments reflecting different cases.
All of those indicted Monday were scheduled to be arraigned today in Greene County Criminal Court.
Rader, 37, formerly of Haney Park, had previously been indicted on a murder count in connection with the shooting death of Jimmy Lee Cutshall on Oct. 13, 2009.
Rader was also earlier charged with attempted murder in the shooting of Cutshall's wife, Rhonda, during a robbery at the Cutshalls' mobile home on Old Wilson Hill Road, near the Greeneville-Greene County Airport.
Rader is scheduled to go to trial on Jan. 22. His two co-defendants in the case, Shawn Anthony Jones and Jessica Marie Myers, were convicted earlier this year by juries of first-degree murder and attempted murder after jury trials in Greene County Criminal Court.
Both are serving effective life sentences in prison.
Testimony in those trials established that Rader drove Jones and Myers to a spot near the Cutshall trailer and dropped them off, and picked them up a short time later after the crimes were committed.
The wording in the superseding murder indictment clarifies the language in the state's case against Rader, court officials said.
Third Judicial District Criminal Court Judge John F. Dugger Jr. recently granted a change-of-venue motion for Rader that will allow the jury to be selected in Hamblen County.
The trial will be held in Greene County. The change-of-venue motion was filed by Rader's defense lawyer, William H. Bell.
Rader remains held on $200,000 bond in the Greene County Detention Center.
HOSPITAL THEFT SUSPECT
Jenine M. Ellis, 42, of Bahama, N.C., was indicted by the grand jury on three charges in connection with the alleged attempted theft Oct. 12 of expensive equipment from Laughlin Memorial Hospital.
Ellis was indicted on two counts of theft of property valued at over $10,000 but less than $60,000, criminal impersonation, and resisting arrest.
Ellis, of Durham County in North Carolina, was observed by hospital employees putting two ultrasound transducers "into her zipped bag" and attempting to leave the hospital with them, Greeneville police said in a report.
Transducers come in different shapes and sizes and are used to make pictures of different parts of the body.
The transducers Ellis is charged with attempting to steal are valued at $10,000 each, the report said.
Ellis gave officers a false name and said she was working for a local doctor "and was sent to inspect the equipment," the report said.
She told officers that her identification and work information were in her car. An officer escorted her to the car and noticed "the license plate had been covered with a plastic bag," the report said.
"I then told her to stop and place her hands behind her back, at which time she pulled away and jumped into her car and tried to start the car and pull away," a report by Scott said.
As the officer attempted to take the car keys away from Ellis, "she tried to head-butt me and bite me several times," the report said.
Ellis was removed from the car and taken into custody. The ultrasound transducers were recovered, police said.
Initial bond for Ellis was set at $85,000, pending Friday's court appearance. She has been in custody since her arrest.
Stephon Shamar Woods, 21, of 127 Whispering Oaks, was indicted on felony charges of aggravated assault and reckless endangerment.
Woods surrendered to the Greene County Sheriff's Department several days after an April 9 shooting incident in the 3400 block of Snapps Ferry Road.
The victim, 23-year-old Michael Kirkpatrick, suffered a left leg wound and required hospital treatment.
Woods also had placed Kirkpatrick's girlfriend in danger by firing a handgun in her direction, a report by sheriff's Detective Sgt. Jason Taylor said.
Woods committed the act of aggravated assault "by firing a handgun at Michael Kirkpatrick and striking him in the calf of his left leg," another report by Taylor said.
In a separate indictment handed up Monday, Woods was indicted on a felony count of possession of a controlled substance with intent to deliver.
On June 20, he possessed 4.7 grams of cocaine "with intent to deliver it," according to a report filed by a Third Judicial District Drug Task Force agent.
Other indictments handed up Monday by the grand jury include:
* Nicholas Ryan Adams, 24, of 655 Plainview Heights Circle: theft of property valued under $500;
* Lauren Danielle Bailey, 26, of 143 Oliphant Drive: driving under the influence;
* Steven Anthony Ball, 30, of 290 Lonesome Pine Trail: evading arrest;
* Travis Deleon Beach, 22, of 8 Hollow Rock Lane: theft of property valued over $10,000 but less than $60,000;
* Roger Allen Bible, 40, of 533 Easterly Road, Mohawk: driving under the influence, DUI-fifth offense, driving on a revoked license and failure to stop at the scene of an accident involving damage to a vehicle;
* Jeremy Daniel Coggins, 31, of 1411 W. Main St.: driving under the influence;
* Carroll Gene Collins, 52, of 5857 Asheville Hwy.: driving under the influence and DUI-third offense;
* Brian Keith Courtney Jr., 24, of 825 Old Fort Lane, Chuckey: aggravated burglary;
* Kimberly E. Cremmins, 40, of 18 Harold Cemetery Road: three counts of forgery and two counts of identity theft, in two separate indictments;
* Danny Ray Allen Cutshall, 29, of 3500 Gap Creek Road, Bulls Gap: theft of property valued over $1,000 but less than $10,000;
* Crystal Dawn Evans, 24, also known as Crystal Dawn Norton, of 4510 Yorkshire Lane, Morristown: two counts of forgery, in two separate indictments;
* Jeremy Bryan Frazier, 24, of 86 State St.: driving under the influence by consent and DUI-second offense;
* Christopher Ray Gillespie, 46, of 155 Massengill Road North: violation of the motor vehicle habitual offender act;
* Robert Dewayne Graham, 22, of 225 Barkley Road: two counts of fraudulent use of a credit card;
* Timothy Nathan Griffith, 23, of 120 E. Depot St.: aggravated assault;
* Michael Andrew Gulley, 31, of 410 E. Wells Hills Circle, Bulls Gap: driving under the influence, DUI-third offense, driving on a revoked license, driving on a revoked license-3rd offense, violation of the financial responsibility law and violation of the seat belt law;
* Debra Diane Gwinn, 44, of 115 Austin St.: accessory after the fact;
* Jimmy Dean Hale, 33, of 105 Pearl St.: aggravated burglary and assault;
* Tara Lynn Hensley, 22, of 225 Barkley Road: fraudulent use of a credit card and three counts of forgery;
* Scott Anthony Hill, 29, of 200 Woodrow Ave., Jonesborough: driving under the influence, DUI-third offense, driving on a revoked license, driving on a revoked license-third offense, driving an unregistered vehicle, failure to provide evidence of financial responsibility and evading arrest;
* Joshua Allen Hinkle, 21, of 218 Thornwood Drive: introduction of a telecommunications device into a penal institution;
* Phillip Dean Hale, 35, of 1022 W. Main St.: aggravated burglary, assault and aggravated assault;
* Anthony Allen Hensley, 34, of 95 Johnson Hollow Lane: theft of property valued over $1,000 but less than $10,000;
* Tony Robert Holloman. 49, of 34 Hillside Court: simple possession of a Schedule II controlled substance. In a separate indictment, Holloman was indicted on charges of theft of property valued at $500 or less, and criminal attempt to commit forgery;
* Samantha M. Hughes, 35, of Vernonia, Ore., accessory after the fact;
* Jeffery Scott Johnson, 41, of 125 Rocky Point, Midway: driving on a revoked license, and driving on a revoked license-third offense. In a separate indictment, Johnson was indicted on a charge of theft of property valued over $1,000 but less than $10,000;
* Terry James Lane, 30, 77 Hensley Hill Road, Limestone: theft of property valued over $500 but less than $1,000;
* William Brent Marshall, 35, of 144 Brookside Drive, aggravated burglary;
* Jeffery Wayne McKay, 38, of 4670 Snapps Ferry Road, Afton, theft of property valued at $500 or less, and in a separate indictment, another theft of property valued at $500 or less. In a third indictment, McKay was indicted on a charge of theft of property valued at over $500 but less than $1,000. In a fourth separate indictment, McKay was indicted on a charge of theft of property valued over $1,000 but less than $10,000;
* Allen Wayne Metcalf, 21, of 25 Fishpond Road: domestic assault, and in a separate indictment, harassment. Metcalf was indicted on a charge of evading arrest in a third indictment;
* Jonathan Richard Miller, 40, of 44 Albert St.: introduction of contraband into a penal institution;
* David M. Myers, 49, of 7442 Erwin Hwy., driving under the influence, DUI-fifth offense, driving on a revoked license and driving on a revoked license-fourth offense;
* Joshua Henry Paul Myers, 30, of 101 Freshour Park, Chuckey, aggravated burglary;
* Emilio Lopez Nava, 36, of 970 Old Asheville Hwy.: theft of property valued under $500;
* Amy Michelle Riddle, 39, of 1545 Tabor Road: domestic assault and possession of drug paraphernalia;
* Stephanie Michelle Norton, 36, of 7675 Baileyton Road, possession of a controlled substance in a penal institution;
* Valerie Lynn Norton, 29, of 325 Leonard St.: theft of property valued at $500 or less;
* Jason Terry Rollins, 30, of 2626 Valley Home Road, failure to appear. In a separate indictment, Rollins was indicted on a charge of theft of property valued over $1,000 but less than $10,000, driving on a revoked license and possession of drug paraphernalia. Rollins was indicted in a third indictment on a charge of theft of property valued over $1,000 but less than $10,000;
* Mark Christopher Rule, 44, of 233 Brown Springs Road, Mosheim, violation of the motor vehicle habitual offender act. In a separate indictment, Rule was indicted on a charge of failure to appear;
* James Robert Shaw, 26, of 993 Whitehouse Road, four counts of forgery;
* Ronnie Lee Shelton, 40, 1417 W. Main St.: two counts of possession of a controlled substance with intent to sell or deliver, two counts of simple possession, possession of drug paraphernalia, evading arrest, and resisting arrest. In a separate indictment, Shelton was indicted on two counts of possession of drug paraphernalia. In a third indictment, Shelton was indicted on a charge of failure to appear;
* Scott David Starnes, 19, of 77 Johnson Road, burglary, theft of property valued over $1,000 but less than $10,000, and contributing to the delinquency of a minor;
* William Kacy Stroud, 21, 602 Black Oak St., three counts of
* Whitnie Shaw Tunnell, 25, of 1055 Whitehouse Road, five counts of forgery; and
* Gary Joseph Wemmer, 55, of 217 S. Irish St.: aggravated stalking.