By BILL JONES
A Greene County grand jury that met at the Greene County Courthouse on Thursday returned indictments against a number of defendants on a variety of charges.
Indictments are not a finding of guilt, only the grand jurors' conclusion that the person charged should be scheduled for trial in Criminal Court at a later date.
Those against whom indictments were returned in May included:
* Jessica Leah Barner, 25, of 1108 W. Summer St., who was indicted on a charge of reckless endangerment in connection with a Nov. 13, 2007, incident in which she alleged placed a two-year-old in danger by allegedly exposing her to cocaine;
* Damon L. Bowers, 33, of 112 Heather Lane, Greeneville, who has indicted on a charge of possessing 9 grams of cocaine base, a Schedule II controlled substance, with intent to sell or deliver it on Nov. 9, 2007;
* Jamie A. Campbell, 41, of 80 Greenway Lane, Chuckey, who was indicted on charges of DUI and failing to stop at the scene of an accident involving damage on Oct. 9, 2007;
* Michael Joe Davis, 51, of 7457 West Andrew Johnson Highway, who was indicted on charges of violating the vehicle motor vehicle habitual offender act, unlawful removal of a license plate and failing to provide evidence of financial responsibility on Jan. 6, 2008;
* Spencer Allen Dobson, 26, of 58 Ayers Lane, who was indicted on charges of leaving the scene of a traffic accident involving damage and resisting arrest by Deputy Sheriff Howard Gale on Oct. 27, 2007;
* Brian Benjamin Feezell, 27, of 159 Oakland Park, Lot 10, who was indicted on a charge of attempting to obtain the controlled substance Lortab from the Walgreen Pharmacy in Greeneville by fraud on Oct. 29, 2007;
* Kenneth A. Fields, 27, of 1136 Olympus Drive, Kingsport, who was indicted on a charge of theft over $500 in connection with the Nov. 7, 2007, theft of a computer owned by Wal-Mart;
* Timothy Nathan Griffith, 19, of 130 107 Cutoff, on a charge of unlawful carrying of a weapon (a .22-cal. handgun) on Sept. 28, 2007, with the intent to go armed; aggravated burglary; and theft over $1,000;
* Patrick Aaron Hawkins, 18, of 1460 Marvin Road, Mosheim, on charges of evading arrest by Deputy Sheriff David Beverly and reckless endangerment on Feb. 9, 2008;
* James Larry Hurst, 41, of Dandridge, who was indicted on charges of theft over $10,000, evading arrest, vandalism over $500 and simple possessing of Schedule VI drugs on Jan. 3, 2008,
* Chad Edward Jackson, 27, of 2166 Chuckey Highway, Chuckey, who was indicted on charges of simple possession of a Schedule VI drug and driving on a suspended license on Sept. 9, 2007;
* Joyce Louise Malone, 30, of 904 N. Main Street, who was indicted on a charge of forgery in connection with a Jan. 17, 2008, incident in which a $100 check was forged at American Patriot Bank;
* Frank Wesley Newton III, 22, of 128 W. Barton Ridge Road, who was indicted on a charge of DUI on Oct. 15, 2007;
* Thomas Monroe Seay, 38, of 208 Pinecrest Drive, who was indicted on charges of DUI and driving without a valid license on Sept. 25, 2007;
* Billy Thomas Shelton, 32, of 700 Fishpond Road, who was indicted on a charge of theft over $500 on Aug. 8, 2007, in connection with the theft of merchandise from the Greeneville Wal-Mart;
* Kyle Delmas Shoun, 37, of 305 Oregon Trail, who was indicted on charges of theft over $500 on Dec. 18, 2007, and theft over $1,000 on Feb. 6, 2008;
* Timothy Allen Smith, 39, of 221 Lake Street, who was indicted on a charge of possessing a prohibited weapon (two glass bottles filled with a flammable liquid) on Dec. 7, 2007; and
* Shane Edward Williams, 33, of 905 West Main St., Jonesborough, who was indicted on charges of DUI (4th offense) and driving on a revoked license (8th offense) in connection with an Oct. 26, 2007, incident.
The grand jury, which met on May 1, also declined to return indictments against five persons.
Those whom the grand jury declined to indict, and against whom the Third Judicial District Attorney General's office moved to dismiss the charges, were:
* Israel W. Mathes, 26, of Sunnyside Loop, who had been charged on April 10, 2007, with DUI ( 2nd offense) and driving on a revoked license;
* Danny Ray McLain, 47, of 205 Wren Street, who had been charged with assault on Dec. 12, 2007;
* Wiley Morgan, of 2015 Camp Creek Road, who had been charged on July 7, 2007, with two counts of domestic assault;
* Robert Charles Mull, 35, of 296 Arrowhead Loop, who had been charged with wiretapping that had alleged to have taken place between July 1, 2006, and February 19, 2008; and
* Deanna Sue Wilson, 46, of 830 Collins Road, who had been charged with aggravated domestic assault on Aug. 9 , 2007;