BY LISA WARREN
Fire destroyed a southern Greene County residence located at 3680 Houston Valley Road on Thursday afternoon.
The homeowner, Danny Rollins, said he was outside the house and heard a loud explosion.
"I first thought someone had wrecked," Rollins said.
He said he then noticed that there was a blaze inside the home and that a window had been "blown out."
Rollins said that he thinks the fire may have originated from a clothes dryer.
He lives at the home with his wife, Donna, and their grandson, Hunter Rollins.
Donna Rollins and their grandson were not at home at the time of the fire.
No one was injured in the blaze.
Units from the South Greene, Cedar Creek and DeBusk Volunteer Fire Departments all responded to the blaze, along with the Greene County Chapter of the American Red Cross and the Greene County-Greeneville Emergency Medical Services.
The St. James Volunteer Fire Department provided coverage for those fire departments while they responded.
Houston Valley Road was blocked in both directions near the location for a few hours as firefighters battled the blaze.
Although Glen Hills utility water lines are located along that portion of Houston Valley Road to serve residential customers, there are no fire hydrants in that area.
As a result, the firefighters had to set up a portable water tank, fill it with water, and use a pumper truck in order to fight the fire.
The firefighters were able to draw water from Cove Creek, which is located behind the house, in order to help fight the blaze.
Fire trucks also transported water to the scene from the nearest fire hydrant, which is located about six miles away at South Greene High School.
Firefighters received the call at 1:25 p.m. and remained on the scene until about 5:30 p.m., according to South Greene VFD Assistant Fire Chief David Weems.
Danny Rollins told sheriff's deputies that his wife went to the beauty salon and left clothing in the dryer, "and told him to watch them," a report said.
"He was outside and heard a loud bang and thought there was a wreck in the front of his house. He thinks what he heard was the dryer blowing up, and it blew out the bathroom window," Deputy Aaron Rogers said in a report.
Damage to the house is estimated at $150,000.
The house contained a number of rifles and shotguns, along with gun accessories. The firearms and accessories are valued at $38,000.
Staff Writer Ken Little also contributed to this report.