A cat that tipped over a lit candle may have caused a fire late Tuesday that damaged a house at 1808 Camp Creek Road, sheriff's Deputy Robert Livingston said in a report.
Occupant Sheila Davis told deputies that a candle was burning in a room of the house and that she "believes the cat knocked it over, causing the fire," the report said.
Fire damage was confined to the bathroom area, with smoke damage throughout the house.
No injuries were reported.
Damage to the house is estimated to be $15,000, with $1,500 damage to personal property, the report said.
Responding to the fire were members of the Camp Creek and Sunnyside volunteer fire departments, along with Greene County-Greeneville Emergency Medical Services, the Greeneville Light & Power System and the Greene County chapter of the American Red Cross.