Full Photo Gallery
Can Be Viewed At
BY LAUREN HENRY
The little spooks and goblins had wagging tails and wet noses.
At the 13th annual Howl-O-Ween celebration on Saturday, even Fido could enjoy the candy-filled holiday.
The Greeneville-Greene County Humane Society hosted the pet costume contest.
It was an afternoon full of princess chihuahuas and goblin dobermans, with many humans getting into the costume fun with their pets.
According to Darlene McCleish, of the Humane Society, it was the best turnout yet.
There were 51 contestants and more than 200 humans in attendance to enjoy the canine and feline festivities.
"We would like to express our thanks to all of the businesses and people who supported the Humane Society's Howl-O-Ween Pet Party," McCleish said.
Concessions and Creamy Cup were on hand to warm up those that made it out in the cool fall weather, with the long-range effects of Hurricane Sandy already beginning to be felt in the air.
All of the proceeds from the pet costume contest went to the Humane Society. The event is the organization's main annual fundraiser.
The group recently built a fenced-in "run" for potential pet parents to spend some time getting to know the potential pet. The dog run was open for costumed puppies to take a break from the festivities and take a walk.
"The visitors were very pleased to have the new walking trail and used it quite a bit," McCleish said.
"We especially want to thank the more than 45 volunteers that made this event run smoothly and raise money for the Shelter. This was the 13th year for this event, and it was the best ever!"
The master of ceremonies was "U-Geen Owens of Dog Leg Creek, Miss," who provided some slapstick-style humor to keep the event light-hearted.
Winners from the pet costume contest are:
* Canine First Place tie: Baby Loulou and Copper Bopper, dressed as newborn twins in a hospital, owned by Danyell Lewis, and Mary Ann Lewis, of Limestone; and Gizmo, dressed as Black Widow, owned by Jon and Sheri Ray, of Greeneville.
* Canine Second Place tie: Buddy, dressed as Tinkerbell, owned by Angel, Antonio Bobadilla and Farrah, of Greeneville; and Rico and Miley, dressed as sock monkeys, owned by Paricia Griffith, of Greeneville.
* Canine Third Place tie: Riley, dressed as a firefighter, owned by Aiden Yokley, of Greeneville; and Ruby, dressed as Dino, owned by Kylee Ricker, of Greeneville.
* Canine Honorable Mention: Grizzly, dressed as a prisoner, owned by Brianna Dison, of Greeneville.
* Feline First Place: Zorro, dressed as a Cat-Bat, owned by Stoan Rader, of Greeneville.
* Feline Second Place: Hashbrown, dressed as Bumble Bee, owned by Sasha Davis, of Greeneville.
* People's Choice Award: Celine, dressed as a Bumble Bee, owned by Kyley and Viki Motz, of Greeneville.