BY KEN LITTLE
Sheriff's deputies continue an investigation into the death of a man Monday who died after reportedly injecting a quantity of a designer drug known as "bath salts."
Deputies were called Monday morning to the emergency room of Takoma Regional Hospital on a drug overdose call.
The victim, Michael Lynn Kirkpatrick, 24, of 117 Brad St., had already been declared dead, Deputy Jake Little said in a report.
Deputies spoke with Kirkpatrick's girlfriend, who said he "had been shooting bath salts intravenously for about two days," the report said.
The woman told deputies Kirkpatrick "had been having a physical reaction" to the drug, and she called a relative early Monday to come to a house on Jim Fox Road and assist her.
The girlfriend put Kirkpatrick in the shower, "and he had been talking to her," according to the report.
911 Dispatch received the call at 4:20 a.m. Monday.
Greene County-Greeeneville Emergency Medical Services "worked on (him) for 40 minutes," and Kirkpatrick arrived at Takoma at 5:08 a.m., the report said.
Deputies were told Kirkpatrick was already in rigor mortis.
Detectives were called in, and a statement was taken from the girlfriend later Monday morning.
Autopsy results were not available today.