BY KEN LITTLE
A smoke detector likely saved the lives of two occupants of a mobile home that was destroyed by fire early today at 970 Carters Valley Road.
The double-wide mobile home was "fully engulfed" in flames when members of the United Volunteer Fire Department arrived soon after the blaze was called in about 4:30 a.m., United Fire Capt. Stacy Brown said.
The occupants were Judy Sizemore and a man who was not immediately identified, Brown said.
Both escaped the flames without injury.
"Everybody made it out. They had a smoke detector, and that's what saved their lives," Brown said. "It woke them up. He woke up, and the house was getting full of smoke."
The fire started where electrical wiring goes into the mobile home.
"I think [the cause] is probably electrical. It started where the electrical [wires] hit the house," Brown said.
Two United trucks and 11 firefighters were at the scene, assisted by a tanker truck from the Mosheim Volunteer Fire Department.
Also at the scene were the Greene County Sheriff's Department, Greene County-Greeneville Emergency Medical Service and the American Red Cross.
Firefighters remained at the scene for more than two hours.
"We had it knocked down pretty quick. It was pretty much a surround-and-drown type of deal," Brown said.
Carters Valley Road is between the Rogersville Road and the Ottway Road.