I want to share helpful tips to follow if you have lost or found a pet here in Greene County. I recommend that you save this column for future reference.

The number one reason pets go missing is because their owners allow them to roam freely. Your pet depends on you to keep it safe. Dogs should be in a fenced yard or walked on a leash. Cats should remain indoors.

Here are the tips:

  • Check for a collar and tags if you find a lost pet.
  • Take the pet to the Greeneviille-Greene County Humane Society adoption center, Greene County Animal Control or a local veterinarian or to have the pet scanned for a microchip.
  • Ask the veterinarian to determine the pet’s age and breed.
  • Take pictures of the pet’s face and side shots.
  • Report a lost or found pet to Greene County Animal Control at 423-798-1777 Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
  • Report a lost or found pet to Greeneviille-Greene County Humane Society at 423-639-4771 Tuesday through Saturday noon to 3 p.m.
  • Post the lost or found pet on your Facebook page and on these Facebook pages as well: Greene Co, Lost & Found (TN), Greeneville Pets Lost and Found, Greene County Tenn Animal Lovers, Tricities Lost & Found Pets (TN/ VA), and My Greeneville. Make sure your post is set to “public” so the post can be shared. Many animals have been found by using Facebook. You will want to regularly check these pages in case someone has found your lost pet and posted it. Put a specific area where lost or found. Put detailed information and description and a good photo of the lost or found pet. Put your phone number on the post. The more information you post will help the lost or found pet. Keep your post updated.
  • Call the Greeneville Sun newspaper at 423-638-4181. They offer a free five-day lost or found ad in their classified section.
  • Call WGRV radio at 423-638-4147, They will announce lost and found pets during their programming.
  • Let all your neighbors know immediately. Make flyers to put in the neighborhood.
  • Flyers are always a great idea and should be posted in all businesses in your area including all veterinarian offices. You will also want to give a flyer to your mail carrier and your newspaper carrier since they travel the area around your house on an almost daily basis. Put flyers up at area stores and anywhere that sells pet food.
  • If you find a pet wearing a rabies tag, call Greene County Animal Control so they can research the tag number and find the owner’s information. Note that all pets should have a current rabies vaccination. Dogs need to have a current rabies tag attached to their collar.

There are many ways you can help with lost or found pets, and we hope this list will be of assistance.

Thank you and please share this with your friends and family!


Annual dues for various levels of membership are: $10, adult; $5, junior; $5, senior citizen; $25, family; $50, sponsor; $100, patron; and $1,000, benefactor. The adoption fee is $100. Checks payable to Greeneville-Greene County Humane Society should be mailed to P.O. Box 792, Greeneville, TN 37744, and include a name and address.

Janet Medcalf is a former president of the Greeneville-Greene County Humane Society and is currently manager of the Greeneville-Greene County Animal Shelter.

Recommended for you