The Greene County Partnership is introducing the 23 members of its 2018-19 Leadership Greene County class.
The Leadership Greene County program was initiated by the Greene County Partnership in 1995. Now in its 23rd year, the local program joins those in communities across the state in providing an opportunity for citizens to increase leadership resources, according to a Partnership news release.
Members of each class are recommended by their employers, civic organizations and former alumni, and their selection is determined by their commitment to community-based issues. Once selected, class participants make a commitment to the program and are educated on the different aspects of the community.
Coursework includes coverage of such areas as heritage, social services, education, government, religion, environment, health care, economic development and agriculture.
Members of the 2019 class are:
DR. DONNIE AKERS
- Assistant Vice President for Clinics — College of Health Sciences, and Assistant Dean for Clinical Affairs — Niswonger College of Optometry at Tusculum University;
- Betsy Lane High School, Betsy Lane, Kentucky, 1990;
- Bachelor of Science in biology and chemistry, University of Pikeville, Kentucky, 1994;
- Doctor of Optometry, Indiana University, 1999;
- Honors/Awards: Armington Math and Science Award, University of Pikeville, 1994; Kentucky Optometry Seat Scholarship, Indiana University, 1995; Distinguished Alumni Award, University of Pikeville, 2016;
- Organizations/Activities: Former member, Johnson County Kentucky Board of Health, 15 years; Association of Schools and Colleges of Optometry Committee on Inter-Professional Education and Collaboration; Kentucky Optometric Association Political Action Committee, 18 years; former member, Rotary Club International.
- Chief Human Resource Officer — Greeneville City Schools;
- Cherokee High School, 1996;
- Associate of Science in social work, Walters State Community College, 2012;
- Bachelor of Science in organizational management/human resources, Tusculum University, 2014;
- Honors/Awards: Dean’s list, 2013 and 2014; President’s list, 2014; Charles Oliver Gray Scholar, 2014 — Tusculum University;
- Organizations/Activities: member, Tennessee Association of School Personnel Administrators; board of directors member, United Way of Greene County; member, Greene County Human Resource Association; member, Society for Human Resource Management; member, Tennessee Association of School Business Officials.
- LPN Wound Care — Life Care Center of Greeneville;
- Greeneville High School, 2005;
- Nursing, TCAT of Elizabethton, 2016;
- Organizations/Activities: former member, Humane Society.
- Human Resource Manager — Parker Hannifin;
- A.N Myer High School, Niagara Falls, Ontario;
- Bachelor of Science in business management, Spring Arbor University, 2002;
- Organizations/Activities: mentor, Tennessee Achieves; vice president, Greene County Human Resource Agency; fundraiser, March of Dimes and band high school programs.
- Account Manager — The Greeneville Sun;
- Scotts Hill High School, Reagan, Tennessee, 2013;
- Graphic design, Tusculum University, 2017;
- Honors/Awards: Cum Laude graduate, top three in class for graphic design; Bruce G. Batts Award;
- Organizations/Activities: youth leader, Christ United Methodist Church Life Tree Program; former leadership team member, Bonner Leader Program Tusculum University; former intern, A Safe Harbor Home.
- Senior Vice President Commercial Banking — First Tennessee Bank, Morristown;
- Jefferson County High Schools, 1976;
- Bachelor Business Administration in accounting, University of Tennessee, 1982;
- Honors/Awards: CPA; Certified Global Management Accountant;
- Organizations/Activities: board member, United Way of Hamblen County; board chair, Kingswood Home for Children; former member, Morristown/Hamblen County Industrial Development Board; board member, Eagle Foundation, Carson Newman University.
- Employee Relations Manager — John Deere Power Products;
- Sullivan North High School, 2005;
- Bachelor of Arts in anthropology, University of Illinois, 2009;
- Juris Doctorate, College of Law, University of Illinois, 2014;
- Honors/Awards: Distinguished Military Grad, Magna Cum Laude in Law School;
- Organizations/Activities: former commander of 112 soldier unit, U.S. Army National Guard; former middle school basketball coach, YMCA, Ames Illinois; former volunteer, Habitat for Humanity in Illinois; volunteer, June Dairy Days.
- Human Resource Director — Greene County;
- West Greene High School, 2002;
- Bachelor of Science in organizational management, Tusculum College;
- Teacher certification, Lincoln Memorial University;
- Organizations/Activities: member, Society for Human Resources Management; member, Greene County Human Resources Agency.
- Planning Director — Town of Greeneville;
- Jefferson County High School, 2007;
- Bachelor’s degree in political science and history, Carson Newman College, 2011;
- Master of Public Policy Administration with emphasis in local government management, University of Tennessee, 2013;
- Honors/Awards: Lee S. Greener Award for Outstanding Achievement in Public Administration, UT, 2013; high school valedictorian;
- Organization/Activities: member, First Baptist Church of Erwin; treasurer, RISE Erwin; board member United Way of Unicoi County; member, Tennessee Chapter of American Planning Association.
- General Plant Services Maintenance Area Manager — Eastman Chemical Company;
- South Greene High School, 1996;
- Associate of Science in pre-engineering, Walters State Community College, 2010;
- Bachelor of Science in electrical engineering, University of Tennessee, 2013;
- Honors/Awards: Magna Cum Laude, Walter State Community College; Annual Award for Excellence in Physics, Walters State Community College; Tau Beta Pi Honor Society, University of Tennessee;
- Organizations/Activities: Engineers Day Ambassador for Greeneville City Schools; volunteer, United Way of Kingsport; founding member, Greeneville Lacrosse Club; former corporal, U.S. Marine Corps; board member, River Plantation Homeowners Association.
- Value Stream Manager — Parker-Hannifin;
- North Greene High School, 1988;
- Master in Business Administration, Tusculum University, 2016;
- Organizations/Activities: mentor, Tennessee Achieves; fundraiser, North Greene cheerleaders, basketball and band; fundraiser, March of Dimes.
- IT Engineer — Greeneville Light & Power System;
- Sullivan East High Schools, 1989;
- Bachelor of Science in manufacturing engineering technology, ETSU, 2005;
- Honors/Awards: Cisco Certified Network Associate;
- Organizations/Activities: webmaster/tech committee, Tusculum Baptist Church.
- Human Resources Manager — Premium Waters Inc.;
- Morristown West High School, 1989;
- Bachelor of Science in finance, University of Tennessee, 1993;
- Organizations/Activities: president, Greene County Human Resources Association; member, Society for Human Resource Management.
DR. RYAN LAWSON
- Clinic Director — BenchMark Physical Therapy;
- West Greene High School, 2007;
- Bachelor of Science in physical education, ETSU, 2011;
- Doctor of physical therapy, Belmont University, 2014;
- Honors/Awards: salutatorian, West Greene High School; summa cum laude with bachelor’s degree;
- Organization/Activities: elder and treasurer, EnCompass Church; physical therapist and assistant coach, West Greene High School Athletics.
- Operations Supervisor — Greene County-Greeneville EMS;
- Cocke County High School, 2002;
- EMT certification and paramedic, Walters State Community College, 2004 and 2009;
- Honors/Awards: honors graduate, Cocke County High School; Walters State Paramedic Student of the Year, 2009;
- Organizations/Activities: assistant coach and team medical person, Chuckey-Doak Middle School Athletics; former youth coach, Clear Springs Ruritan; former member, Caney Branch Fire Department.
- District Manager — U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service, Cherokee National Forest, Unaka Ranger District;
- Heritage High School, Maryville, Tennessee, 1988;
- Bachelor’s degree, MTSU, 1993;
- Honors/Awards: Phi Kappa Phi, MTSU, 1993;
- Organizations/Activities: Logistics Section Chief, Southern Area Incident Management Team; member, Backcountry Horsemen of America; member, Crumley House Equestrian Club.
- Controller — John Deere Power Products;
- Moline High School, Illinois, 1998;
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting and business management, Augustana College, Illinois, 2002;
- Honors/Awards: cum laude graduate;
- Organizations/Activities: classroom volunteer, Junior Achievement; Day of Caring volunteer and investment/fundraiser committee, United Way; member, Christ United Methodist Church; annual fundraiser, Alley Cat Boxing Club.
- Production Engineer — SumiRiko Tennessee;
- South Greene High School, 2009;
- Bachelor of Science in engineering technology, Tennessee Technical University;
- Honors/Awards: Tennessee Tech Spectrum Award;
- Organizations/Activities: member, Ducks Unlimited; former athlete, South Greene High School.
- Captain — Greeneville Fire Department;
- Greeneville High School;
- University of Memphis;
- Valdosta State University.
DR. JAIME PARMAN-RYANS
- Associate Professor of biology — WSCC;
- South Greene High School, 1993;
- Associate’s degree in general studies, WSCC, 1998;
- Bachelor’s degree in health sciences, ETSU, 2001;
- Master and Doctorate in biomedical sciences with a concentration in biochemistry and molecular biology, ETSU;
- Organizations/Activities: advisor, Service Leaners of Walters State Greeneville Campus.
- Adjunct Professor of Marketing — ETSU
- South Greene High School, 1980;
- Bachelor of Science in business administration, Tusculum University, 1984;
- MBA, Tusculum University, 2015;
- Honors/Awards: dean’s list, president’s list, valedictorian, 4.0 GPA, Business Simulation Winning Strategy, MBA Cohort, P.O.E. International;
- Organizations/Activities: member, First Baptist Church, former client interviewer of The Christmas Star, Adopt-a-Shut In, ESL teacher, First Baptist Church; client intake food distribution, YMCA; former vice president of public relations, Toastmasters International; coach of students in self-marketing, personal selling and career advancement, ETSU; Summit on Children, Leadership Tennessee.
- Financial Advisor — Andrew Johnson Investment Services;
- Varina High School, Richmond, Virginia;
- Bachelor of Science in social work, Jacksonville State University, Alabama;
- Master of Science in counseling, Jacksonville State University, Alabama;
- Organizations/Activities: member, First Baptist Church.
- Superintendent of Meter Department — Greeneville Light and Power System;
- Dickson County High School, 1987;
- Bachelor of Science, ETSU, 2005;
- Honors/Awards: summa cum laude, ETSU;
- Organizations/Activities: youth teacher, First Baptist Church; former president of executive committee, Mid South Electric Metering Association; associate member, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineer; member, Greeneville Hiking Club.