UPDATE: 10:15 a.m. Tuesday

At a press conference this morning, Greeneville Police Detective Capt. Tim Davis apologized for providing misinformation to members of the media about the condition of the three girls injured Monday evening at the Greene County Fair. 

His announcement came after the mother of two the girls objected to police reports that each of the girls were "responsive."

Davis said one of the girls had been intubated.

As of 10 a.m., conditions were still not available for the three injured girls. 

Davis said all rides will remain closed until third-party inspectors examine the rides. The results of those inspections will be sent to the state to determine if rides are safe to operate.

For more information, see today’s edition of The Greeneville Sun and revisit GreenevilleSun.com.

UPDATE: 10:15 p.m. Monday

Greeneville Detective Capt. Tim Davis said all three people who fell from a ferris wheel at the Greene County Fair were responsive and answering questions Monday night.

Davis said Family Attractions, the company that runs the midway section, will have 24 hours from the time of the accident to file a report with state regulators and have a third-party inspection to verify safety of other rides.

Greene County Fair Board of Directors President Bobby Holt and law enforcement officials will hold a press conference at 9 a.m. Tuesday at the fair office at the Fairgrounds to provide more information on the situation.

UPDATE 9:45 p.m. Monday

The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation will not assist Greeneville police and local law enforcement in the investigation of the ferris wheel incident, a TBI official said Monday night.

Greene County Chief Deputy Ray Allen said all special activities for fourth-graders planned for Tuesday at the fair have been canceled.

UPDATE 8:45 p.m. Monday

Greeneville Detective Capt. Tim Davis said the three people who fell from the ferris wheel fell 30-45 feet before hitting the ground.

The oldest of the girls is 16, he said to media at the Fairgrounds.

Per advice from state officials, all carnival rides will be shut down for at least the rest of the night, Davis said.

Local law enforcement officers are interviewing witnesses.

"We treat it like a crime scene until we determine there's no foul play," Davis said. "We don't know at this time what caused the accident."

A third-party investigator is on the way to inspect all rides at the fair, according to Davis.

UPDATE: 8:20 p.m. Monday

According to Greene County-Greeneville EMS Operations Director T.J. Manis, all three people who fell out of the ferris wheel were taken to Niswonger Children's Hospital in Johnson City. Two were flown via helicopter, and one was taken via ambulance.

"We had personnel there on standby," Manis said.

Greeneville Fie Chief Alan Shipley said the fire department and Greeneville Emergency and Rescue Squad freed people stuck on the ferris wheel after it stopped.

"We went up and brought some people down," he said. "We used our ladders."

He said the three people who fell were "thrown out" of the ferris wheel. When firefighters got to the scene, they saw the girls lying on the ground. EMS personnel were already working with them.

Sheriff Pat Hankins said the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation, Tennessee Occupational Safety and Health Administration and the federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration are all on their way to the Greene County Fair.

The ferris wheel will be closed while the investigation is underway. Other attractions and events at the fair were still operating Monday night.

Hankins said he is bringing six detectives from the sheriff's department to help the Greeneville Police Department in its investigation.

UPDATE 8:00 p.m. Monday | PHOTOS

To see photos from the Greene County Fair tonight, click HERE.

UPDATE 7:37 p.mMonday

Members of the Greene County Fair Board of Directors are now meeting with emergency personnel, witnesses and family members of those affected inside the board's office at the Greene County Fairgrounds.

The ferris wheel is closed down and roped off, but other fair rides are still operating.

One fair board member said at least one girl's injuries appeared to be life-threatening.

A Tennessee Bureau of Investigation spokesperson said the TBI is assisting the Greeneville Police Department in the initial stages of the investigation.

UPDATE 7:07 p.m. Monday

A witness, Gregory Wayne Lynthacum, whose daughters were on the ferris wheel at the time of the accident, said three young girls fell from the top of the ferris wheel, which was ascending.

The girls looked to be 10-12 years old, he said. Two of them were motionless after falling to the ground. Lynthacum said he saw blood coming from their mouths.

"It could have happened to any of us," Lynthacum said. "It was mechanical."

The bucket holding the girls seemed to be hanging on the bar securing the cart.

"It was definitely mechanical, it was definitely structural," Lynthacum said.

After the girls fell, Lynthacum said people were screaming at the ride operator, trying to get him to stop the ferris wheel.

"People were hollering and screaming to stop it," he said. "I don't know if they speak any English at all."

A Greeneville fire truck was helping unload those left on the wheel.

Fair board members were meeting with families and people on the ferris wheel.

UPDATE 6:55 p.m. Monday

Crews are working to free people trapped on the ferris wheel. The people who fell did so from cart No. 9.

A Greeneville Light & Power System truck is on its way to the scene to help free other people stuck on the ferris wheel.

6:30 p.m. Monday

Emergency crews are responding to the Greene County Fairgrounds after several people reportedly fell from the ferris wheel Monday night at the fair.

At least one helicopter was called in to transport at least one person to an area hospital, emergency radio traffic indicated.

Monitor GreenevilleSun.com for more details as the story develops.